Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 7 Update

Hello friends!

I'm currently sitting at a computer in the elementary school library of this tiny little town called Leigh Creek. Jon and I are stopping here for a few hours to restock on some important food items (like Tim-Tams and onions) and take care of other necessities before we leave for Warraweena, where we will be camping for one week.

So much has happened in these past seven days, but unfortunately, with my slow Internet access, I will have to tell you about most of the events later.  I've uploaded a few photos, but I will need to upload more in order to do these stories justice.  But anyhoo, here's a bulleted summary of what's been going on:
  • measured three stratigraphic sections (see post)
  • learned to drive a stick-shift truck just in case Jon collapsed from overheating of the brain
  • saw 45 kangaroos, 16 emus, 2 foxes, and way too many goats and sheep
  • solved a spectacularly non-scientific mystery (next week)
  • found a mouse chilling out in our supply of rice and pasta
  • fell victim to an anthill and basically all of its occupants (next week)
  • nearly died at the sight of the night sky and all of its blindingly wonderful sparkliness
  • relapsed into pyromania, hell bent on the path of becoming an arsonist (and a really good one)
  • mapped a paleocanyon using really expensive equipment, only to lose a day's worth of work to a software crash ("Damn Trimble!")
Again, sorry for the lack of updates.  Next weekend, I'll have better access to the nets and definitely more stories (and photographs) to share!

So long,

Christine

4 comments:

  1. oh the trimble...but you have to admit they fancy, huh?

    you make me wish I was in australia sleeping in a tent and looking at limestone all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, Leigh Creek. I think I can guess where in town you made this post from. Did you go to the Open Cut cafe while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh Creek, sounds like a modern time town's name in a remote site - I do see a highway road going through the town.

    Last night on PBS-TV, it says that in the amarzon jungle there are 68 tribes still living in the stone age times. One of the tribes has just 4 people left, due to modern-time human contacts (reporters and advanturous tourists).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I NEED to hear this anthill story. It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete